Wednesday, September 29, 2010

photo manipulation

Original Image: 
Clayoquot Sound, BC
By Jon Carr, May 2010


Manipulations:

GIMP:
  • Adjusted the colour balance: increased cyan so the tree's appear more vividly
  • Adjusted the contrast: increased contrast so there is a greater difference between the bright and dark pixels
PICNIK:
  • Cropped the image to emphasize mountains
  • Adjusted the colour saturation: decreased saturation to give photo a black and white appearance

VERDICT:
I preferred Picnik over Gimp due to its ease of use.  The interface that Picnik provides is user-friendly and easy to follow.  Also, one does not have to download and install Picnik, they can use it right in their web browser.  However, if the web browser 'crashes', one will loose their data!  
Gimp was good but the interface was not user-friendly.  If I am looking to do a quick photo edit, I much prefer Picnik.  Since I am so low on time these days, I will be limited to quick editing!
Note: I do not like added text on to an image. I feel it is distracting and takes away from what the photographer was trying to capture.

No comments:

Post a Comment